Tired tears and lullaby’s

no sleep,

it’s been a while,

countless sheep.

That same ole’ cow

jumps over the moon,

I sure do hope

the fat lady sings soon.

So hopeful all this

will finally be over,

longing for a dreamland

a seamless crossover.

Although the funny thing is,

that my shaking isn’t bad…..? Huh….

Beyond feeling tired,

my eyes tear up and drain

anxiety turns to depression,

from bottling the pain.

The thought’s start

no end in sight,

my mind races constantly

another wasted night.

© 2018 Joseph Emerson @

Posted by on February 22, 2018 in Mental Health, poetry, writing

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

23 responses to “Tired tears and lullaby’s

1. Courtney

February 22, 2018 at 1:00 am

I have insomnia most nights. And since I’m an alcoholic, I’m limited in what I can take (nothing addictive). Melatonin and Benadryl pretty much. I’ve tried other, non-addictive meds and have had issues with them all. I used to use Xanax. Not the right reason to use it, but it worked.

February 22, 2018 at 1:02 am

Yeah it’s tough. I also have issues with drinking and addictions. So even Benadryl and zzzquil started to become issues for me…

• Courtney

February 22, 2018 at 1:03 am

I used to take zzzquil and don’t take that because of the alcohol in it. Benadryl seems okay. But I do take it every night…

February 22, 2018 at 1:04 am

I used a Walgreens brand that was alcohol free still did the trick

• Courtney

February 22, 2018 at 1:05 am

Wow, interesting. Thanks for sharing your experiences. ☺️

February 22, 2018 at 1:05 am

February 22, 2018 at 1:01 pm

Reblogged this on Beckie's Mental Mess and commented:
    This poem is so relatable… Great piece by Joseph Emerson of “What’s Inside a Madman’s Hat” 🙂

3. Jay Kaushal

February 23, 2018 at 6:15 pm

Lol its funny how I am reading this at 5 am over here..still awake. Nicely written with a touch of humour!

4. Shayra

February 27, 2018 at 9:17 am

Nice poem . 👍

5. Ali

March 3, 2018 at 1:31 am

March 17, 2018 at 10:10 am

I know the feeling. You described it well. I long for sleep but dread that moment when I turn off the lights and attempt to shut down my mind. I think perhaps all creative people might have difficulty going to sleep. My body naturally decided it was nocturnal back in college when I did my best work at 3 am and strolled into class at noon. In the 36 years I taught I doubt I got more than 4 hours a night and just survived day by day on adrenaline. I think perhaps I consciously put off going to sleep because I never know who will visit me in my dreams. So many souls trying to tell me their story and I can’t help them all. But that’s a discussion for another day.

I’m sorry you have trouble sleeping. It’s maddening, I know. I’ve learned to create stories in my mind as I lie there and that helps a bit. I’m glad you are writing about your experiences and turning the unpleasant into a thing of beauty through Poetry. That’s what artists do….

March 17, 2018 at 10:43 am

Thank you so much. Another thing that drives me mad is when I forget a pen or my phone is across the room and I have a writing idea and I take off with it.. to finally wake up in the morning like “damn it, I knew it was awesome why can’t I remember it?” If I had it my way I would live my life at night. Unfortunately, my office has to be opened during the day. BOO. Thanks again for reading and stopping in.

March 17, 2018 at 12:30 pm

Yes, I have learned to always keep a notebook by my bed. It’s important! I know,I love the night. Maybe we are really vampires! 😉

March 17, 2018 at 12:40 pm

Ummm. That would be so friggin cool. Honestly when I watch like old vampire movies like From Dusk Till Dawn.. I’m like what’s the big deal?, they seem pretty cool haha

March 17, 2018 at 2:36 pm

Hahaha. I have always had a fascination with them. Imagine having the experience and wisdom as well as the pain of centuries in your brain…what a burden that would be!!! I am actually 12 chapters in writing a vampire mystery- dedective- love story. The prologue is on one of my wordpress posts. It is called Crimson Widow. Check it out…. I’ll finish it one of these days… But the first 12 chapters are working really well….