The Used Bookstore

pexels-photo-264635

So seductively, books piled up sky high to the ceiling,

it being the only cause for their ascending limitation.

Methodically placed and balanced just so each one acting,

as the cornerstone of its strikingly sturdy foundation.

The unmistakable specific smell of old paper and leather,

in a strange unpredictable way brings welling to my eyes,

flooding in had come the memories of being a volunteer

at my township local library, when I was a youth, arise.

Dreaming of then, a simpler time I reminisce and recall

spending my summer afternoons there with my cousin,

I am suddenly washed over with confusion, wondering

how can such an innocent time in life, now seem so sullen?

As the room gets colder it starts to appear much darker

the light that had sparkled in my mind begins to smolder,

the depths of my self-hating uninvited friend depression

interrupted by the used bookstore owners tap on my shoulder.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

38 responses to “The Used Bookstore

1. Dorinda Duclos

March 24, 2018 at 9:37 am

There is nothing like a bookstore, to be able to touch, smell and experience it, it’s like heaven on Earth. Shame on the store owner for breaking the spell!!

March 24, 2018 at 9:55 am

I live in a small beach town and the surrounding little towns are all lined with small shops and things. So I had actually moved this bookstore in when I was 21 and working for a moving company. So I stopping in. I guess I may have looked strange staring at a wall and not looking at anything but I was thinking about 3 things at once and to some… they don’t or can’t understand that just by looking at you. I had even commented on how I knew about the upstairs room with the window that looked over Main Street and he just seemed creeped out … not sure why. Maybe I had the wrong bookstore lol

2. Bharath Upendra

March 24, 2018 at 9:41 am

Hahaha! Happened to me once. The most irritating question follows, “what do you want?”
    Why am I in a bookstore!?😂

March 24, 2018 at 9:56 am

Right? lol. I just commented on the whole situation on Dorinda Duclos comment here, telling more of the story. Kind of funny 👍
      🎩

• Bharath Upendra

March 24, 2018 at 10:00 am

Hehehe! Every bookstore owner behaves the same, maybe. Too many bookstores there?

March 24, 2018 at 10:15 am

One in every town. But some are /home made soap/novelty quote sign stores. Like “passion” on an old piece of drift wood

• Bharath Upendra

March 24, 2018 at 10:17 am

Ah! Sounds interesting. We can get personalized signs on demand!

March 24, 2018 at 10:20 am

Haha 😂

3. BeckiesMentalMess.wordpress.com

March 24, 2018 at 10:13 am

I love bookstores and the scent of paper and bindings. This was an amazing piece of art! 🙂

March 24, 2018 at 10:16 am

Right? Is it weird that I will look around and then stick my nose in a book and deeply inhale ? Damn I love it.

• BeckiesMentalMess.wordpress.com

March 24, 2018 at 10:22 am

I went into Barnes & Noble a couple weeks back and was sucked in by the aroma of it all. My roommate had to literally pull my arm, and drag me out. Okay, so maybe I was in there for an hour and a half, but damn… I get so lost in it.

March 24, 2018 at 10:29 am

Gotta love a place you can take a product and sit down and use it for an hour and nobody cares.. try that at a bed store. lol

• BeckiesMentalMess.wordpress.com

March 24, 2018 at 10:30 am

LMAO!!!! 🙂

March 24, 2018 at 10:31 am

😂

• Shreya Jindal

March 25, 2018 at 9:58 am

Hahaa. i do this most of the time. And then suddenly the owner of the shop bursts into the scene stating me a manic but he is not aware of the scent of the books as he spends most of his time in the store. Hahaa

4. Fiery

March 24, 2018 at 11:59 am

J…I used that EXACT PHOTO for a poem I wrote a long time ago. . just weird and nice synchronicity!
    You are so evocative and nostalgic in your style. Your words flow over my mind like a warm blanket, it has some tips and tears in it, but they only serve to paint a more vivid and profound picture of this beautiful yet heartbreaking canvas.
    I am so pleased to have found you accidentally.
    🖤

5. Hannathegrace

March 24, 2018 at 4:50 pm

This is like being caught crying while watching a movie. 😂

March 24, 2018 at 4:54 pm

Haha I can actually recall a time in 6th grade when two of my classmates caught me tearing up during a movie we watched in class. Naturally tried playing it off. lol

• Hannathegrace

March 25, 2018 at 2:00 am

😂😂

6. Charlena E. Jackson

March 24, 2018 at 9:00 pm

Joooossseeeph,

See, you are a writer!!

Get started on the book!!

Love your blogs!!

I’m going to be the FIRST person to buy your New York Times Best Sellers book!!!

March 24, 2018 at 9:05 pm

Lol Hello there. I am really considering it. I would like to have a collection of too many pieces that I can pull from so I can make it flow the way I would like to in a poetry collection. Every time my mom reads something of mine she is practically begging for me to publish. So many people on here are asking/telling me to. So I’m making it my goal for 2018 👍
      🎩

• Charlena E. Jackson

March 24, 2018 at 9:10 pm

Any piece you write— will be a MASTER Piece!!

I loooove your blogs!!

Every time I read your blogs, I have a sense of an imagination!! I can see the person of whom you are writing about… I become that person for the moment I’m reading.

Execute your goal!!

March 24, 2018 at 9:13 pm

So glad you like it. I’m in a good place for writing and I’m not letting stuff distract me right now. Taking advantage of my time. Knowing that life sometimes gets whacked and a few days will go by without grabbing a pen. I just need to be okay with that and not let it hinder me in any way.

• Charlena E. Jackson

March 24, 2018 at 9:21 pm

You got it!!

Your writing speaks volume!!! More than you know.. Your writing are changing people mindset for the better!!

7. E. Michael Helms, writer

March 24, 2018 at 11:24 pm

Profound!
    –Michael

March 24, 2018 at 11:27 pm

Thanks again Michael, I’m truly glad that you enjoyed it.
      🎩

8. Sehrish Ahmed

March 25, 2018 at 6:03 am

I have nominated you for the mystery blogger award – https://thesehrishthing.wordpress.com/2018/03/25/mystery-blogger-award/

9. moorezart

March 26, 2018 at 7:29 pm

Reblogged this on From 1 Blogger 2 Another.

10. A Quiver of Quotes

March 27, 2018 at 1:25 pm

Made me think: vellichor …

11. thereluctantpoet

March 31, 2018 at 2:20 pm

Love old book stores! Thanks for sharing this!!