Cherish brevity. Covet not quixotic.

looking_up_to_the_stars_20180220_1961339671

Our fists clenched, shaking ’em at the sky,

with a flood of irrational emotions, we cry.

Damn this existence of human life’s brevity,

We marvel the idea and covet longevity.

What would we do with an eternity, if we had it all?

We couldn’t enjoy memories, there’d be too many to recall.

Truth being, the only way you can appreciate life, or love anything,

is the notion that you can easily lose it, as it dangles from a string.

It’s just a fact that you long for more time only because it’s not infinite,

If you could say “I love you” for eternity, would you ever really say it?

It’s just the way it goes and there’s no way to stop the motion of science,

the stages are denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and vital acceptance.

As we grieve the end of a loved one’s journey,

hopefully, you spent that time as you both had wished,

as you recall all the great times, that used to be,

think…

if forever were possible, it may not have been so cherished.

Β© 2018 Joseph Emerson @ WhatsInsideAMadmansHat.com

Posted by on March 18, 2018 in Family, love, poetry, Uncategorized, writing

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

37 responses to “Cherish brevity. Covet not quixotic.

1. The Stories in Between

March 17, 2018 at 12:50 pm

Great piece. I particularly like this:

“Truth being, the only way you can appreciate life, or love anything,

is the notion that you can easily lose it, as it dangles from a string.”

March 17, 2018 at 12:53 pm

Very cool. Thank you so much. I definitely appreciate the response. Glad you liked itπŸ‘

2. raynotbradbury

March 17, 2018 at 1:07 pm

This one even more awesome ;)) could we say β€œI love u” for eternity and would we remember all our love-s* (small and big)… it’s an idea for sci-fi book lol

March 17, 2018 at 1:21 pm

Glad you like it, definitely means a lot πŸ€“ you can write the book… I’m too lazy lol.

• raynotbradbury

March 17, 2018 at 2:04 pm

Haha
        If u start now, even if u r lazy, u’ll finish 2020 or so πŸ˜πŸ˜…

March 17, 2018 at 2:07 pm

That’s a great idea. Retirement plans. Assuming that it sells millions… and I’ll only be like 36. Yeah, that sounds sweet. lol

• raynotbradbury

March 17, 2018 at 2:57 pm

What a great story πŸ˜‰πŸ˜€ you seee u r a fictional writer lol
        Just kidding πŸ™‚ – u can do it! πŸ‘πŸ“–πŸ’“

March 17, 2018 at 2:59 pm

ahahah snap. Thanks. We will see

3. myloudbipolarwhispers

March 17, 2018 at 1:15 pm

Reblogged this on My Loud Bipolar Whispers and commented:
    I love this.. a new way to think of our journey of life, our future, forever, eternity and our life after our time on earth.

March 17, 2018 at 1:22 pm

Thank you. Glad you liked it. Thanks for reposting and sharing. I’m always grateful. πŸ€“πŸ‘

• myloudbipolarwhispers

March 18, 2018 at 11:49 am

You are welcome and thank you for writing it. Your writing is incredible. You are very talented. Have a happy, healthy and fabulous day.

March 18, 2018 at 11:51 am

That means the world. You truly made my day. Thank you and same to you!! Be well.

March 17, 2018 at 3:02 pm

Oh yes, I would say “I’ll love you for eternity”. But, sadly it seems that my eternity is always longer than those I seem to love. Perhaps more proof that vampires do exist… To loosely quote Anne Rice she said in an interview that inspired a poem I wrote a while back, “Vampires, ghosts, and werewolves are nothing more than those who walk on the sidelines of life.” I found that concept so profound that it inspired an epic poem I wrote about my entire creative existence.

And then I would ask you to ponder this…. What is eternity??? How long is forever? In real life I think we can fall in love hundreds of times, but in literary terms it is much more appealing to imagine one love for all of eternity. Now that is the stuff of which dreams are made!!!

March 17, 2018 at 3:07 pm

oomph not sure how to answer that. I would have to really think about it.

5. Africasculptor

March 17, 2018 at 4:01 pm

Hits me in so many ways. You said :
    “Damn this existence of human life’s brevity,

We marvel the idea and covet longevity.

What would we do with an eternity, if we had it all?

We couldn’t enjoy memories, there’d be too many to recall..”
    ManπŸ‘ŒπŸΎπŸ‘ŒπŸΎ

6. Megha's World

March 17, 2018 at 4:56 pm

Such a beautifully crafted poem. Yes, it is really true the would have cherished the life and it’s moments so much had it existed for infinity. Loved these lines”if forever were possible, it may not have been so cherished.”

7. thewintersdance

March 17, 2018 at 5:29 pm

This is intriguing in so many ways. What a view on all what’s worth living – and dying for! Love it!!!

8. BeckiesMentalMess.wordpress.com

March 18, 2018 at 11:34 am

Reblogged this on Beckie's Mental Mess and commented:
    Outstandingly powerful! by Joseph Emerson’s “What’s Inside a Mad Mans Hat?” a must read, that is… πŸ™‚

9. BeckiesMentalMess.wordpress.com

March 18, 2018 at 11:34 am

Tremendous my friend! Very powerful, a must share!

10. Quillpen

March 18, 2018 at 11:37 am

Wow! Brimming with meaning.

11. Ali Grimshaw

March 18, 2018 at 12:12 pm

Joseph, this is a beautiful reflection on the human experience. The power of awareness, (when I can be conscious of it) of my life ending on a random someday, makes my day glorious. Your wonderings about infinity are appreciated.

12. namnasir

March 18, 2018 at 11:05 pm

This was heart touching , brilliant piece of art πŸ’–πŸ’–

13. manyofus1980

March 19, 2018 at 11:22 am

Reblogged this on Therapy Bits and commented:
    A powerful piece of writing from the wonderful Joseph Emmerson and his blog what’s inside a mad mans hat…check it out!

14. House of Heart

March 19, 2018 at 6:46 pm

This is beautiful writing!